Visiting Lyon in 1 day: The ultimate itinerary from Fourvière to the slopes
An ideal route
In one day, follow this route to get a great overview of the historical, cultural and gastronomic wealth of Lyon. Enjoy your visit!
Comfortable shoes: Lyon is a city with a lot of cobblestones and hills, so wear comfortable shoes for walking.
Download the metro and tram map
Take the Ficelle – the Lyon funicular
History ⏱ 2 min

Minimes stop: start of the walking route
History ⏱ 2 min

Ancient baths of Lyon
History ⏱ 20 min

Odeon of Lyon
History ⏱ 20 min

Gallo-Roman Theater
History ⏱ 30 min

Basilic insula
History ⏱ 15 min

Basilica of Our Lady of Fourvière
Monument ⏱ 45 min

Four Winds Footbridge
Panoramic view ⏱ 15 min

Esplanade of the Notre-Dame de Fourvière Site
Panorama ⏱ 15 min

Rosary Garden
Garden ⏱ 20 min

Chazeaux Ascent
Neighborhood ⏱ 10 min

Cathedral and Primatial Church of Saint John the Baptist
Monument ⏱ 30 min

The Manécanterie
The Manécanterie (manicanteria means "singing house" in Italian), a historic monument of Lyon, is located in the Saint-Jean district, just southwest of the Saint-Jean Cathedral, of which it was part of the former cloister. Initially used by the canons of Saint-Jean, it later became a real singing school intended for the training of young clergy choristers.
More information HERE.
Archaeological Garden
History ⏱ 15 min

Cinema Museum (Former lawyers' house)
Museum ⏱ 1h

La Longue Traboule (54 rue Saint-Jean)
Traboule ⏱ 20 min

The Pink Tower (Sift House)
Architecture ⏱ 15 min

The Charvet clock
Monument ⏱ 10 min

- The mechanism: A 100 kg dial controls five gilded bronze bells and a troupe of famous automata.
- The robots: Every quarter of an hour, the Lyon icons Guignol and Gnafron strike the large bell, while Harlequin and Polichinelle ring the others.
- Private Trumpet: Added after the war of 1870, this character comes out of his niche every hour on the hour to sound the bugle.
Lyon History Museum – Gadagne
Museum ⏱ 1h30

Renaissance turret
Architecture ⏱ 10 min

Philibert de L'Orme Gallery
Architecture ⏱ 15 min

Henri IV House (Hôtel Paterin)
Architecture ⏱ 10 min

Claude de Bourg's House
Architecture ⏱ 10 min

Thomassin House
Architecture ⏱ 10 min

"External" stair tower«
Architecture ⏱ 10 min

Traboule of the old Government Palace
Traboule ⏱ 10 min

Lyon Courthouse
Monument ⏱ 20 min

Footbridge to the Palace of Justice
Bridge ⏱ 5 min

Templars' Street
Neighborhood ⏱ 10 min

Place des Célestins
Monument ⏱ 20 min

Place des Jacobins
Monument ⏱ 15 min

The Jacobins Fountain
- Origin and Creation : The central fountain of the square is the most emblematic element. Designed by the architect Gaspard Andre and inaugurated in 1885, it represents a masterpiece of neoclassical art.
- The Statues : The fountain features statues of four famous artists who contributed to the artistic influence of Lyon: Philibert Delorme (architect), Germain Pilon (sculptor), Guillaume Coustou (sculptor), and Hippolyte Flandrin (painter).
- Anecdote : The fountain has been restored several times, with the last major restoration taking place in 2013 to restore its original shine and splendor.
Merciere Street
Neighborhood ⏱ 30 min

Printers' Passage
History ⏱ 10 min

Remarkable courtyard and passageway
Traboule ⏱ 15 min

Saint-Nizier Church
Monument ⏱ 20 min

Traboule of the Printing Museum
Traboule ⏱ 15 min

Old Town Hall
History ⏱ 15 min

- 1462 : After years of struggle against the power of the Archbishop, the Consulate (ancestor of the town hall) finally settled there.
- Architecture : The current buildings retain the soul of the 15th century, despite a fire in 1513 and major alterations in 1576.
- Evolution : This was the political heart of the city until 1604, when the Consulate moved to build the current City Hall.
Traboule Le Passage
Traboule ⏱ 15 min

Old Church of Saint Peter
History ⏱ 20 min

- Millennial origins: Founded in the 7th century, it retains a narrow 12th-century facade and a listed Romanesque portal.
- Sacred details: Its 18th-century doors bear the papal coat of arms and the monogram "IHS".
- Metamorphosis: Decommissioned in 1907, it is now part of the Museum of Fine Arts where it serves as a majestic exhibition hall for sculptures.
Place des Terreaux
Monument ⏱ 20 min

Bartholdi Fountain
Monument ⏱ 15 min

Lyon City Hall
Monument ⏱ 30 min

Cloister and garden of the Museum
Garden ⏱ 15 min

The "Little Louvre"«
Visit to Saint Peter's Palace (Museum of Fine Arts)
Explore one of Europe's greatest collections, from ancient Egypt to modern art, in the sumptuous setting of a former abbey.
Traboule Place des Capucins
Traboule ⏱ 15 min

- The entrance: A long, dark corridor unexpectedly opens onto a monumental and very bright courtyard.
- The setting: It is surrounded by high-rise buildings, formerly owned by wealthy silk merchants.
- The atmosphere: Completely renovated, it offers a very clean appearance but is sometimes considered less "authentic".
- The exit: A staircase runs through the whole thing to lead directly to Rue des Capucins.
Ascent of the Grande Côte
Neighborhood ⏱ 30 min

Ascent to the Amphitheater
History ⏱ 20 min

Panoramic view of the Grande Côte
Panorama ⏱ 10 min

Pouteau Street Staircase
Street Art ⏱ 10 min

Traboule and Courtyard of the Voraces
Traboule ⏱ 20 min

Place Chardonnet
Neighborhood ⏱ 10 min

Mermet Staircase
Street Art ⏱ 10 min

Thiaffait Passage
Neighborhood ⏱ 30 min

Saint-Polycarpe Parish: The scars of history
History ⏱ 15 min

- Shell impacts: By carefully observing the facade, one can see chips and traces of impacts. They date from the Lyon uprisings of 1834 (the second Canut revolt), when the army violently repressed the silk workers who had entrenched themselves in the slopes.
- The symbol: These marks make the church a true witness to the "working hill" and the suffering of the silk weavers.
Place du Forez
Neighborhood ⏱ 10 min

Place Louis Pradel
Neighborhood ⏱ 10 min

Lyon National Opera
Monument ⏱ 30 min

Lumière Brothers Plaque
History ⏱ 5 min

Rue Pizay – Rue du Garet
Neighborhood ⏱ 15 min

Chapel of the Trinity
Monument ⏱ 20 min

Menestrier Street
Neighborhood ⏱ 10 min

College Gateway
Bridge ⏱ 10 min

Lyon Stock Exchange Palace
Monument ⏱ 20 min

- Role : Built between 1855 and 1862, it was the heart of Lyon's economic activity (Chamber of Commerce, Commercial Court, Stock Exchange).
- Architecture : It is an imposing building, representative of the splendor of the Second Empire.
Saint Bonaventure Basilica of Lyon
Monument ⏱ 20 min

- Style : It is a church style Gothic Built in the 14th century and remodeled, it offers an interesting contrast with the surrounding Haussmannian architecture.
Republic Street
Neighborhood ⏱ 30 min

- Style : Observe thehomogeneous architecture neoclassical and Second Empire style that lines the street, with its aligned facades, Mansard roofs and ornaments. It is a textbook case of mid-19th century urban planning.
Place de la République
Monument ⏱ 15 min

Argue Passage
Architecture ⏱ 15 min

Hospital Square
Monument ⏱ 10 min

- THE Grand Hotel-Dieu The square runs alongside this majestic monument, which was transformed in 2018 into a living space combining luxury boutiques, gastronomy and interior gardens.
- There Baroque Chapel : A 17th-century jewel integrated into the square, it is distinguished by its carved walnut portal and its richly restored interior, adorned with trompe-l'œil paintings.
- Medical legacy: The statue of Marcel Mérieux in the square reminds us that Lyon is a historical capital of biology and health.
- Atmosphere: A site with monumental architecture, ideal for admiring Soufflot's domes or enjoying a quiet terrace away from the crowds.
The Chapel
Welcome to the Chapel, built in the 17th century on the site of the former medieval hospital and incorporated into the first Hôtel-Dieu, initiated by the Italian rectors César Laure and Antoine Mey. Inspired by the Church of the Gesù in Rome and conforming to the principles of the Counter-Reformation, it embodies the power of the Church with its imposing façade, Latin cross plan, single nave, and luminous dome. Construction began in 1637, and despite delays due to the plague, the church was consecrated in 1645, with the façade completed in 1646 by Pierre Le Muet. Admire the high reliefs, sculpted grape clusters, and grotesque head motifs, symbols of the rectors' power. A place of prayer for the nuns, the Chapel witnessed the baptism of more than 30,000 children after the Second World War.
Grand Hotel-Dieu
Monument ⏱ 45 min

The Cloister Courtyard
The Cloister Courtyard is the oldest and most authentic part of the Grand Hôtel-Dieu, where you can admire the 17th-century hospital, as well as remains from the 15th and 16th centuries. You are standing on the site of the former cemetery, while the current Chapel replaced the ward. In 1637, the rectors of the Hôtel-Dieu built this complex with a cruciform plan, inspired by the Ospedale Maggiore in Milan. The central dome, visible when you look up, served as a ventilation chimney and a chapel where the sick could attend Mass. Note the windows on the upper floor, designed to provide ventilation without disturbing the patients, and the small cupola sculpted by Delamonce in the southwest corner, marking the former main entrance. Under the arcades, the stonemasons' marks and plaques commemorating donors recall the history of this place.
The Saint Louis Court
This courtyard represents the transition between the 17th and 18th-century hospital. On the left, you can see the east and south wings of the hospital, arranged in a cross pattern known as the "four rows," and on the right, the rear of Soufflot's grand façade. Note the difference in level: during the 18th-century expansion, the quay and the façade were raised to prevent flooding. Formerly a kitchen garden in the 17th century, this courtyard has always been very green. In 1825, a pendulum fountain was added, similar to an older one visible in the Cour Sainte Élisabeth.
The Saint Henri Court
The Cour Saint Henri, or Cour d'honneur (Court of Honor), is the most beautiful legacy of Soufflot's 18th-century expansion of the Hôtel-Dieu. Chosen to impress travelers arriving via the Guillotière Bridge, the 27-year-old Soufflot designed the Grand Dome and the surrounding wings. Admire this 250-meter-long neoclassical façade along the Rhône, its proportions harmoniously based on the golden ratio. After your visit, admire it from the Quai Jules Courmont. The Dome served as both a chapel and a ventilation shaft, ventilating the stale air from the wards. The stained-glass windows and the former refectory evoke the religious life of the Hospitaller Sisters, who took their meals in silence. The peristyle, also designed by Soufflot, was completed in the 19th century.
The Saint Elizabeth Court
The Cour Sainte Elisabeth, the smallest of the Grand Hôtel-Dieu, dates back to the 18th century. It was initially surrounded by four identical buildings, one of which was replaced by a modern construction. Formerly called Lodge of Fools, The ground floor housed the mentally ill, symbolizing the era of the "Great Confinement." The asylum, demolished in 1936, was replaced by a boiler room, which was itself replaced in 1984. Today, the courtyard has regained its enclosed appearance. Note the counterweighted fountain, with its trough carved from a single block of stone. Each courtyard had its own fountain, essential in this "city within a city" where the nuns lived and cared for the sick.
The Saint Martin Court
The Cour Saint Martin, the last remaining 18th-century courtyard, houses a treasure: the grand staircase, likely designed by Soufflot. If you are coming from the Cour Sainte Elisabeth, it is on the left after the passageway, and if you are coming from the Cour du Midi, it is directly in front of you. Admire the steps and the balustrade, a masterpiece of stone and ironwork, leading to the patients' rooms. Position yourself on the south side of the courtyard to see the alignment of the courtyards, stretching for nearly 250 meters, also designed by Soufflot. The Villebois stone arcades allowed patients to be transported under cover. The ground floors housed the wards, the upper floors the patient rooms, to prevent flooding. In the 1920s, temporary buildings housed the pediatric ward, causing controversy due to ambulance traffic. The statue of Amédée Bonnet, a pioneer of orthopedic surgery, now stands in the courtyard bearing his name, at the entrance on Rue Bellecordière.
The South Court
The Cour du Midi, the most recent courtyard of the Grand Hôtel-Dieu, was built at the end of the 19th century by the architect Paul Pascalon, marking the third phase of the hospital's expansion. Formerly, this courtyard housed the morgue, with a mortuary chamber, a dissection room, and a hearse shed. Today, the area is lively, with shops and an elegant glass roof. Pascalon added a dome, but unlike the others, it serves neither as a ventilation shaft nor as a chapel, instead marking his work with a historical seal. Before leaving, admire the modern glass roof, reminiscent of the 19th-century one, and the contemporary entrance on your left, which reconnects with the old Rue Bellecordière while preserving the original style of the buildings.
Other information HERE.
FNAC Lyon Bellecour
Architecture ⏱ 10 min

Equestrian statue Place Bellecour
Monument ⏱ 20 min

- A Central Point : Standing in the center of the square, the equestrian statue of Louis XIV, made by François-Frédéric Lemot, is a symbol of royal authority. Installed in 1825, it replaced an earlier version destroyed during the Revolution.
- Little Stories : This statue was designed without stirrups, a detail that has intrigued many historians and visitors over the years. Some say it symbolizes the divine power and total mastery of the king.
Place Bellecour in a few figures
- The square measures approximately 312 meters long and 200 meters wide.
- Place Bellecour covers approximately 62,000 m², making it the largest pedestrian square in Europe and the fourth largest square in France.
- Place Bellecour is considered the zero point roads from Lyon. This means that all road distances from Lyon are calculated from this central point.
- Place Bellecour is a major crossroads in Lyon, and six major roads The main points converge there:
- Republic Street : One of Lyon's main commercial arteries, leading towards the Presqu'île and the Place de la Comédie.
- Victor Hugo Street : Pedestrian axis which crosses the 2nd arrondissement and joins Perrache station.
- President Edouard Herriot Street : A shopping street which links Place Bellecour to Terreaux.
- Charity Street Which leads south towards the Ainay district.
- Doctor Gailleton's Quay : Which borders the Saône to the west of the square.
- Guillotière Bridge / Jules Courmont Quay : Connects Place Bellecour to the left bank of the Rhône and the Guillotière district.
Bell tower of the Charity Hospital
History ⏱ 10 min

- History and Meaning : The bell tower is the only remaining vestige of the Hôpital de la Charité, an establishment founded in the 17th century to accommodate the most destitute. It was largely demolished in the 19th century, but this bell tower was preserved and remains today a discreet witness to the charitable history of Lyon.
- Curious Anecdote Looking at it, few passers-by know that it escaped demolition thanks to the intervention of influential figures who advocated for its preservation.
Banks of the Rhone
Ride ⏱ 30 min

Welcome to Lyon
Choose a location on the map or scroll through the maps to begin the tour.